1-2 minute read
So, you’ve decided you want to make homemade edibles, maybe you’re making brownies or gummies. Well, the first step is always to decarboxylate your cannabis. Luckily you can do this at home and you don’t necessarily need any fancy tools to do so, in fact, you can easily do it in your oven!
So, why do you need to decarb your cannabis?
Heat is essential to activate the cannabinoids in your cannabis which give it its symptom relieving potential. In the same way that you light a joint or put cannabis in a vaporizer, you’re heating up the cannabis to activate it. Essentially, without heating your cannabis you won’t feel any of the its effects.
If you don’t wish to decarb your cannabis in your oven, as it can produce a strong smell of cooked cannabis, there are over ways you can decarb your cannabis at home. You can buy machines like the Nova which will decarb your cannabis with reduced smell. Or, if you’re decarbing your cannabis to make canna-butter, you can use a Magical Butter Machine.
But if you’d rather do it the old fashion way, here’s a step by step guide on how you to decarb cannabis in your oven at home.
What you will need
- A baking tray or glass dish
- Aluminium foil or parchment paper
- Cannabis, dried flower (if you’re making canna-butter use 1 oz)
- Grinder or scissors
- 2-5 minutes prep
- 25-30 minutes bake
- Preheat your oven to 220°F.
- Remove the stems from your cannabis and carefully break it down using a grinder, scissors or your hands to about the size of a grain of rice. Try and avoid breaking it down too fine as you don’t want it to burn.
- Spread your foil or parchment paper onto your oven proof dish and carefully layer your ground, dried flower on top. Place the dish in the oven on the centre rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Check on your cannabis frequently while it’s in the oven but try to not open your oven door too much. You can gently mix it to ensure that it doesn’t burn. Over time the colour of the cannabis will change and turn a darker brown-green.
- When it’s done it will be light-medium brown and very dry. If it isn’t pop it back in for a few more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. When it is cool transfer it to a storage container.
Now you have decarbed your cannabis you can make all the edibles you desire.