As time goes on, researchers are discovering more and more about medical cannabis and how it can help patients with anxiety. More specifically, certain cannabis strains for anxiety have shown to be more effective than others when it comes to treating anxiety. In fact, there appears to be a correlation between high CBD strains and anxiety treatment effectiveness.
There’s a growing body of evidence that cannabis strains for anxiety are effective at helping patients deal with anxiety symptoms.
One study showed that mice had their anxiety symptoms substantially reduced when treated with CBD. Animal studies have also shown promise when using CBD to treat depression and anxiety.
Meanwhile in humans, evidence shows that CBD can be useful at helping to treat anxiety, among other mental health issues.
THC vs. CBD Strains for Anxiety
THC is the compound in marijuana that is responsible for creating that euphoric high feeling that is often associated with marijuana. Conversely, CBD is more associated with anxiety relief. It doesn’t produce the high effect, but research suggests that it does help mitigate patients’ symptoms.
While every patient is different and each person will have a unique reaction to specific strains, typically, if you’re looking for anxiety relief, then you’ll want to look for strains that are high in CBD and low in THC. CBD strains for anxiety are more likely to directly address symptoms.
What’s more, you should start out on lower doses and work you work way up, so you know how your body will react to the specific marijuana strains for anxiety.
12 Cannabis Strains for Anxiety
- ACDC: A CBD-dominant strain, ACDC is effective at making the patient feel calm and centred, leaving them in a good headspace without incurring that euphoric high. It’s best taken in a space where you can relax and take a load off for a while.
- Charlotte’s Web: Another high-CBD strain, Charlotte’s Web has almost no THC in it. That makes it ideal for treating patients with anxiety, so they can benefit from that relaxed feeling.
- Cherry Wine: At about 17% CBD and less than one percent THC, this is a very relaxing strain that is good for entire body relief. Again, don’t expect a high from this medical cannabis.
- Granddaddy Purple: This is another strain that encourages full mind and body relaxation, making it ideal for patients who need that full relief.
- Harley-Tsu: Harley-Tsu has won awards and is considered to be a very effective cannabis strain for anxiety. It typically has more than 13% CBD in it, with tests at the 2014 Emerald Cup listing it at over 21% CBD while containing less than one percent THC. It’s a great anxiety-free medical marijuana strain for anxiety.
- Jack Herer: This is a strain that is more likely to induce a feeling happiness in addition to the relaxation. It’s also considered to be a good mood augmenter that doesn’t make the patient feel tired or drained of energy.
- Lifter: Another strain with about 16% CBD and almost no THC (so, again, a very good fit for anxiety patients). It has a more pungent aroma but is known for its ability to help a patient relax without taking away focus or function.
- Remedy: Remedy is considered to be an easy strain that is lighter in terms of mood relaxation and effect. For patients just starting out, Remedy can be a very good first cannabis treatment.
- Sour Space Candy: As the name suggest, this strain has a sourer note when it comes to smell. Having said that, it’s been shown to be an effective treatment for both anxiety and depression, with 17% CBD and a small amount of THC.
- Sour Tsunami: One of the original high-CBD strains for anxiety, Sour Tsunami remains a favourite among patients. It’s known for producing that relaxed feeling without much of a body high.
- Suver Haze: With a fruity smell, Suver Haze doesn’t just help patients, but is considered one of the better smelling marijuana strains for anxiety (if that’s important to you).
- Sweet and Sour Widow: A very popular indica-dominant strain, Sweet and Sour Widow has the highest THC content on this list, with a 1:1 ratio between CBD and THC. Having said that, it’s still proven effective at treating anxiety with only a mild high.
MMC Medical Cannabis Consulting and Access to Cannabis Strains for Anxiety
If you’re ready to try medical cannabis to help with your anxiety, contact a nurse practitioner or patient advisor at Medical Marijuana Consulting (MMC).
We are a trusted name in medical cannabis consulting. MMC is a premier medical cannabis clinic in Canada that helps patients across the country access medical professionals. Our team of physicians, psychiatrists, and nurse practitioners can provide a prescription, offer you help to get you coverage for your prescription costs (if eligible), refer you to a licensed producer, and help you apply for the ACMPR license.
As a top cannabinoid clinic, we offer patient’s personalized white glove treatment. You’ll also get access to personalized one-on-one educational sessions, treatment plans, and ongoing support. Our cannabis clinic also helps with insurance filing for benefits and tax claims. On top of that, if you want to grow your own medical cannabis at home, our medical marijuana consulting team can help you apply for a Grow Your Own License with Health Canada.
At MMC, we want to make access to medical cannabis as simple as possible for as many people as possible. Join our Ambassador Program and receive $15 for every person you refer to MMC that becomes a patient. To learn more about Medical Marijuana Consulting and how you can secure a prescription as part of your personalized medical cannabis treatment plan, book a consultation online, contact us at 844-312-5143, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.